On the Cheap...

I was trained to travel cheaply. Well, maybe “cheap” is the wrong word. Frugal is a better choice. Yes, I travel frugally, depending on my given budget.

Preferring to crawl around odd sites and discover obscure views, I will give up a swanky hotel most anytime. When you think about it, while traveling, a hotel is simply a place to wash-up and lay your head for the evening.

While Spartan accommodations can leave some people cold (pun intended), they can be beneficial. Take, for example, the place in this picture:

This is an $8 room in Lima, Peru: just a place to lay your head and maybe write a post card. But what else do you need? You should be out and about exploring, right?

Okay, okay…so once in a while it’s nice to stay in a five star palace and be taken care of (I have done that several times). However, if I had to choose between posh lodging or an extra destination, pyramid, cathedral, ruin, or museum (and I usually do), I’d pass on the feathery comforter, room service, and bellhop!

Popular posts from this blog

Malls of West Amman

...The Dead Sea Highway, Resorts, and Religion...

Shobak