Court Wisdom

I come from a family of basketball and softball players. My mother was an avid softball player--she could play any position very well. She got offered a position on the American Girls Baseball League, but had to turn it down to help raise her siblings and run the farm. But I remember her teaching me the fundamentals.

Apparently my dad was a great basketball player in his youth, and I've heard stories about how good he was from his friends. He played hard. I'm talking like Jerry Sloan hard: tough screens, elbows out, strong drives. And he played the same even into his late 60s.

My first real basketball education came while living in Mexico with Cameron and playing on a city league-ish team. I had just turned 15 years old and didn't know how to "box out" or "crash boards". I came back from Mexico with good skills in each (thanks, Cameron). Once at Weber State, Cameron and I played many a pick-up game, where I gained even more pointers and refined my skills.

My second real basketball education was playing city league in Idaho Falls with Bob and Cameron. Cam and I would drive from Ogden to Idaho Falls (and most times, back) once a week just to play one game. But it was sweeeet: three brothers playing at the same time on the same team. Just plain fun. Aside form learning how to play "tough" ball, I got really good advice from Bob, like: "If you score you make one person happy; if you make an assist, you make two people happy". I still look to pass first (unless I'm under the basket).

For a few years, I couldn't get enough basketball. I would start playing pick-up games in the morning after cleaning movies theaters and as long as the team I was on won, I'd just stay there--to the detriment of my GPA because I missed so many classes! But it was fun. I liked playing against people who were larger, or taller, or just thought they were "all that". Because I play "tough" ball. I don't call fouls--either way. I just liked to play. I still do.

Anyway, for the past month I've been playing basketball regularly here on campus. It's great. And I'm having fun with it. Still building my stamina, but as for "moves", well, fundamentals outplay style & flash anytime. And when I toss a "quick release" layup, shoot an "old school" up-and-under, or make a hook shot, the students are impressed. For example, today I threw a no-look, backwards pass to a teammate--a spot-on assist through traffic, right to him under the basket. Not only was he shocked, but the other team was amazed. "Court awareness", Bob and Cam called it.

But at a certain time, I believe "awareness" becomes "wisdom". Of course I probably have more experience than the students against whom I play, and so, yes, probably more wisdom. Yet I'm (a lot) slower now than I used to be and still don't have much more than a foot of vertical leaping ability, but I dribble better (less) and have better vision (lasik!). I also box out very well and can still "throw around" people--no matter the size; I can usually box-out 2 or 3 folks under the key and get the rebound.

I guess I've just realized it's the fundamentals that lead to the wisdom. And, in the end, I suppose that applies to life--and anything else for that matter!!

Popular posts from this blog

Malls of West Amman

...The Dead Sea Highway, Resorts, and Religion...

Shobak