Right-sizing

I'm writing this post for a friend who suggested I chronicle my recent life events. So here we go...

After my father died, my mother had a LOT to maintain: several horses on several acres means fence repairs, irrigating the pasture, feeding the horses, maintaining the out buildings, and more. We tried, unsuccessfully, for a couple years to get her to "right-size". Not down-size, since smaller isn't necessarily better. But find the size that was right for her. Apparently, she thought the farm was her right-size (though even she admitted she couldn't handle all it entailed...so was it her right-size?)

Over the last couple years, I've reflected on the idea of "right-sizing" and found it quite helpful. How much "stuff" do I really need? How large of a living space do I really need? I've never had much stuff to begin with, but I have even less now it seems.

It's nice.

I live downtown in a studio-size place (renting right now, maybe buying in the future...who knows?) It's a 7-minute walk from my home door to my office door. Plenty of shopping and food opportunities nearby, and I walk most everywhere. After a few months of living here, I even sold my beloved truck.

(And it was one of my most favorite vehicles! I loved Seven [my truck] at least as much as my little '83 GLC [see a previous post]).

Now I use public transportation to get around the valley. If I need to take a longer excursion, I rent a car. Several rental agencies have shops just blocks from my place. And by renting, I forgo a car payment and car insurance, as well as vehicle maintenance. To get around town quicker than walking, I use Denver's B-Cycle program.

My bank is a five-minute walk. My doctor and dentist just down the street. Even my chiropractor and insurance agent are just a few minutes walk from my building. I can see all of these from my balcony that overlooks the city. When I need fresh food, I stop into Cook's Fresh Market, or use Door-to-Door Organics. And then there's the Denver Arts scene with world-class museum exhibits, plays & musicals, and downtown exhibitions.

It's nice.

Being from "the country", I always dreamed of living in a city, but thought I would not like it. Yet while I still enjoy the outdoors (perhaps more now than when I lived in the country), here I am, living downtown. And enjoying every minute.

Popular posts from this blog

Malls of West Amman

...The Dead Sea Highway, Resorts, and Religion...

Shobak