Field Studies

My number one reason for being a Geographer can be summed up in one word: Fieldwork. While I've written on that topic previously, I want to expound a little more on the subject and explore Field Studies.

At it's core, a "field study" means you are conducting some kind of fieldwork with a specific purpose. This is why I do what I do. So I can drag people into the field with me, help them see the landscape anew!

Currently, I run two international field study courses: Sustainability in the Caribbean, where I spend a couple weeks with students on the Island of Grenada, and Geography by Rail®, a program I designed (and trademarked!) to explore landscapes using the quintessential mode of transport: the train. Both represent exciting, but different, field study programs.

Students at Levera beach, Grenada, excited at the opportunity to study on a tropical island!

Regardless of which they partake in however, students overwhelmingly enjoy the opportunity to get out of the classroom and apply what they learn. Surveys show that ALL students rank a 10-day to two-week field study experience as equivalent or greater than a semester-long in-classroom course. Having experienced field studies as a student myself, I agree.

So, that's my end-goal. Help people explore the world and understand the importance of fieldwork. And field studies help with that.

Popular posts from this blog

Malls of West Amman

...The Dead Sea Highway, Resorts, and Religion...

Personal Credit Card Choices