The Power of the Fulbright Program

The Fulbright mission, “…to increase mutual understanding and support friendly and peaceful relations between the people of the United States and the peoples of other countries,” remains a dominant driving force in cross-cultural communication and appreciation. I’m proud to be part of the Fulbright Family. I stand ready to help anyone who is thinking of pursuing a Fulbright opportunity. The program is, quite frankly, amazing.

One of the Forgotten Fortresses of the Eastern Desert: Qasr Q'ilat (Castle-castle). It's really a dam that's been there since, according to my Bedouin guide taking a smoke break on the dam, Roman times. He showed me Roman engravings. This is OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. But such a neat place!

Ive had some time to reflect on our experiences in Jordan, now that weve begun settling back into life in the States. And here's the thing: I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the experience – or the Kingdom, or its people. I can honestly say: What a fantastic country with truly delightful people! Simply outstanding. Really.

I work with Heritage resources, so this quote struck me. It's at
Bethany Beyond the Jordan.

The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan has certainly become one of my favorites (and I’ve visited, lived, and/or studied in many different countries). Really, it’s become a second home. Though we were fortunate to visit several other countries during our time there, flying back to Amman was always a welcoming experience. It’s a great feeling that my thought was not, “When we get back to Amman…”, but, “When we get back home…” – and by “home” I mean Amman. There’s “home” in Amman and then “home, back in the States”. Crazy. I don’t think I’ve ever lived in a place where I’ve felt like that (apologies to my beloved Isle of Spice).

On the Jordanian side of said River. The contrasting tourism of the River Jordan between Jordan and Israel is astounding. You have to see it to really grasp it. Tip: the Jordan side is much more relaxed.

I even catch myself comparing the US to Jordan. Just the other day, eating my boiled egg for breakfast, I said out loud, “It’s a good egg. Not Jordan-good, but decent…” And these thoughts/comments extend beyond food. Driving on freeways, watching American news, talking with people...I continually compare the US to Jordan – wishing that, in some ways, the US was able to be more like Jordan. That’s a thought I never would have had before my Fulbright experience.

The Sahabi Tree. Sacred and the only green thing for dozens of kilometers in any direction.
It's said Mohammad rested in its shade as a boy. More info here:
http://www.sacredfootsteps.org/2014/08/11/the-blessed-tree/

In the end, when I consider all that we did, saw, and accomplished in a short six-months, the thing that speaks to my heart and soul – what really is, I believe the power of the Fulbright program – are the people. The local, permanent residents of Jordan: Bedouins who have been there for generations, refugees who travel thousands of miles for something better, and others who have decided to make the Kingdom their home. That’s what Fulbright is all about, that’s where the true power of the program rests.

The dark lines running through the mountains are dikes. Formed underground as magma cooled in fissures (cracks) of already-solidified rock. This is along the highway from Amman to Aqaba.

It was truly a wonderful experience living there. A blessing. We had multiple visitors with whom we were fortunate enough to explore the amazingly delightful country. We met countless friends while in the field, forged some good collegial relationships, and saw some amazing sights. But there’s so much more to see, explore, and do! Perhaps one day we will return. InshallahThank you Jordan, and thank you Fulbright for providing this opportunity. I am humbled and ever-grateful.

A textbook example of a large deflation hollow in the Eastern Desert (the pale, sandy area center-and-left). These are created when wind transports a lot of fine-grained sand into an area devoid of rocks. And usually ventifacts can be found around them.

Popular posts from this blog

Malls of West Amman

...The Dead Sea Highway, Resorts, and Religion...

Pomp & Circumstance