A Credit Card Mistake (my first)

You'd think that, especially with a near-perfect credit score, a co-branded card from a lesser-known bank might be easy to get. But that's not always the case, I suppose.

I've written about which cards we personally use. And my belief is still that a person does not need more than a few well-selected cards to wring maximum benefits from the points & game. So why did I apply for this (problematic?) card?

Well, I had grand plans for a trip to Europe this winter. And when I saw a nice sign-up bonus for the Best Western Mastercard ($89 annual fee), I started scheming. I've been a loyalty member with Best Western since 2008, so I am familiar with their offerings, and used to stay with them a few times/year when I did fieldtrips in the US. And I also know Best Western hotels in Europe can be very different than their US counterparts, especially in the countryside. I've stayed in Best Westerns that were manor houses, Victorian mansions, previously-esteemed estates, and even lake houses. Most are unique.

The card was offering a sign-up bonus of 80,000 points, plus another 40,000 after spending $5000 in six months. That's lucrative, and 120,000 points can go a very long way in the off season. So why not plan a trip around Best Western hotels? Plus, moving forward, the card gives you 40,000 points after spending $5000 every year (instead of an annual free night, which many other, similar priced cards offer). Since we enjoy Europe in the winter, those annual 40,000 points will go a long way. And the sign-up bonus alone would allow us to spend a couple weeks in Europe this winter.

The offer also said, "instant approval". So I clicked the link, filled out the application, and then I got a screen I've never seen before when applying for a credit card: "We will review your information and get back to you..." Whaaaaat? So, I kind of shut it out of my mind, though I was feeling frustrated. Especially since a good friend of mine was instantly approved for his card. And he has a lower credit score than me, more credit card debt, and has applied for three credit cards in the last year. Ugh.

A week later, I got a call from the bank (First National Bank of Omaha) asking to confirm my annual income (why would I lie?) and address (why?). I hadn't applied for a credit card in about four years, so why the red flags? I almost told the representative, "Never mind, I don't want the card", but then I felt Europe calling, and said "yes, please send me the card". I should have stuck with my gut...

Anyhow, I received the card, used it over summer to get the welcome bonus, and awaited the points to drop into my account. Although we met the spend requirements in less than a month, it took two statement cycles before the points appeared. When the points did finally post, I noticed my 40,000 bonus (for spending $5000 in six months) were not there. I called the bank, and would you believe it: those bonus points come next year. And I still have not received the "complimentary Gold status" that supposedly comes with this card. Not that Gold status at Best Western gives you anything meaningful, but still...it's the principle of the thing.

And why the hassle with application? Why not advertise the additional 40,000 bonus points as not given in the same year? Especially when other co-branded cards I have were slick and quick with approval, and their associated benefits were essentially instantaneous. If you decide to apply for the Best Western Mastercard, I wish you better luck than I had. It may be a lucrative little card for those who are Best Western loyalists. But getting approved for it seems hit-or-miss, and the promised status and extra bonus points are misleading at best.

#Mastercard #BestWestern #Travel #CobrandedCard #TravelAdvice

Popular posts from this blog

Malls of West Amman

...The Dead Sea Highway, Resorts, and Religion...

Pomp & Circumstance